The Last Journey of John Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The Last Journey of John Keats

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks malia for the Jan post on the videos in Daily Motion. I could not see it in the US on YouTube (like others) due to copyright stuff.
I enjoyed reading all the posts in response.

I have been terribly busy at work and family the past 4 months - so I am late to this party...but I am trying my best to get time to read these posts again.
Blessings to all!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cathat906 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:52 pm

I have tried the UTube link from the UK which says the video is private and does not allow access and the other link does not work for me. The only other place I have found is here https://www.films.com/id/9340 and they are charging $300 for a copy of the DVD. Not sure if the BBC will ever open their archives for on demand streaming, hope that happens at some point.
If anyone finds a link to the video on the web please let me know.
Cathat906

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi there, and welcome!

I'd forgotten completely about this - this thread goes back 7 years, they must have removed it years ago!
That's a crazy price to charge unless it was the actual film negatives themselves; outrageous.

Yeah there's a lot of things I'd love to get from the BBC archive, different documentaries they never seen to repeat while endlessly repeating others.

I think there might be in future some scope for better access to the BBC archive for mere mortals.
After all the taxpayer has funded all those shows and should have the opportunity at the very least to purchase stuff from the archives.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cathat906 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm

Thank you for the welcome. Looks like the BBC have sold the programme to this organisation, even so I can't imagine anyone paying that sort of money for a 25 year old documentary. This is what they say about themselves.

"Films Media Group, an Infobase Learning Company, is the premier source of high-quality video on academic, vocational, and life-skills topics. With thousands of outstanding educational videos—many exclusive to us—from the world's most recognized producers, we're proud to serve the needs of schools, colleges, libraries, the medical community, and other institutions with the broadest and deepest range of content available."

Looks like the BBC isn't the only organisation that sells off their old programmes to this NY based organisation. Its clearly a way of monetising old content.
https://www.films.com/ecFeaturedProducers.aspx
Cathat906

Postby CasaMagni » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi, I have a copy of the video. Let me know when you have downloaded it -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nq2kcxdxw ... s.mp4/file

Thanks.
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Cathat906 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:04 am

Fabulous, thank you, have now downloaded it, this site is amazing!
Cathat906

Postby Cathat906 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:01 am

I have had a chance to watch it this morning. I have to say bravo to Motion for making it, a subject surely worthy of this sort of literary documentary. I agreed with him that taking the trip by sea on a sailing vessel was essential to telling the story. The boat the film used was almost certainly a Brixham Trawler, possibly even this one.

https://classic-sailing.co.uk/schedules ... %20Brixham

The poets picnic at Stansted park was interesting, I wonder if Motion and a (very young looking) Simon Armitage realised they would both be future poet laureates?

There were a few editorial decisions that were more slightly more puzzling, particularly things that were left out. One of the great ironies of the voyage are the near misses with Charles Brown returning from Scotland, they almost certainly unknowingly passed the vessel he was on when they left Gravesend. They stopped at Portsmouth and visited the Snookes and learned that Brown had returned to England and was staying in nearby Chichester, but Keats makes the important decision not to visit him. Presumably because he knew he might abort the journey. There is also a stop probably at or near Lulworth cove where Keats and Severn climbed around the grottoes on the shore. Its an extremely unusual almost circular small cove which is a World Heritage site, surely perfect fodder for the programme. Instead the documentary decides to highlight Teignmouth, (replete with firemen recreating the notoriously damp Devon climate) a place they did not stop on the journey, although Keats had visited before.

The other thing that I thought might have been included was a reference to the terrible three day storm they suffered in the notoriously rough Bay of Biscay where their cabin was flooded and Severn remarks on how calm Keats remained. There is also not much made of the very significant effect Miss Cottrell (the fellow passenger who was also suffering from consumption) had on him. In terms of music it's known that Severn hired a piano for the room in Rome and used to play him Haydn sonatas. We don't know which ones but Severn wasn't a professional pianist so probably some of the easier ones. Incorporating a short section of one of those might have been both interesting and authentic.

Thank you again for what was a fascinating programme.
Cathat906

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 am

CasaMagni wrote:Hi, I have a copy of the video. Let me know when you have downloaded it -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nq2kcxdxw ... s.mp4/file

Thanks.

I hope you don't mind I've also downloaded it and will have a look earlier - I can't even remember watching it when this thread started!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby CasaMagni » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Interesting remarks there Cathat906. I also found it to be a worthwhile documentary, although I can't really warm to Motion to be honest. I found his manner to be somewhat skittish and lacking the necessary gravitas for what is after all one of the truly tragic episodes in English literature. Particularly the scene where he and Maloney were mocking Keats' supposed habit of adding cayenne pepper to his claret, which looked unrehearsed and amateurish. Also the poet's picnic didn't add anything and was a bit cringeworthy. Indeed, had they realised two poets laureate were destined to emerge from that group, I'm sure it would have added to the general gaiety...

But the second half of the programme saved it; the scenes in Rome were very good. The death mask excerpt was haunting and, unlike one of the above posters, I actually thought the music was appropriate and evocative. Maloney's recitations of To Autumn and Hyperion were impressive, and the general vibe was one of no expenses spared, as one would expect from a polished BBC production. So all in all, a valuable contribution to the not very extensive canon of Keats' documentaries. Amazing to think the amount of time since I first watched it constitutes Keats' entire lifespan...
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Cathat906 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:52 pm

I completely agree, the poet's picnic was an example of an unnecessary tangent, unrelated to the journey. The best account of his trip and his death at Cassina Rossa I have read so far is the one by Stanley Plumly in his book Posthumous Keats.
Cathat906

Postby CasaMagni » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:59 pm

Yes I've heard very positive reviews of that book, I mean to get it soon.
CasaMagni

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 pm

It is excellent, as is his 'Immortal Evening' about the famous Haydon dinner.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cathat906 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:17 pm

The other one I would recommend is- Darkling I Listen -by John Evangelist Walsh. They have a lot more detail on this period than the generic biographies.
Cathat906

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:53 am

CasaMagni, I can't download the link you listed. It seems that it is not available.
But I do agree others that Darkling I Listen and Posthumous Keats are worth reading. I just never finished the latter due to work.
I must set some time to do so.

I have certainly appreciated reading all your posts.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby CasaMagni » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:59 pm

I removed the link BrokenLyre because I didn't want it to be publicly available longer than was necessary. I could reupload if you want it.
CasaMagni

PreviousNext

Return to Life and Letters