Happy 225th Birthday, Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Happy 225th Birthday, Keats

Postby poemisdue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Happy Birthday to one of the best poets ever, who, though he perhaps died before his pen had gleaned his teeming brain, never ceases to inspire young poets and readers around the world. As Keats said best, “the Poetry of the earth is never dead.” Your spirit lives on, collected up in fragments and buried into hearts for over two centuries. As a young poet, I am for ever in awe at your work and the short life you lived. May you never cease to be.
poemisdue

Re: Happy 225th Birthday, Keats

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Very well said. I agree with you and I celebrate the life of our dear friend. Thanks for posting a lovely tribute to Mr. Keats.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:02 am

I wonder if anyone is thinking about where Keats was in December 1820. Yes, Rome. It is quite odd and strangely interesting to me that I can think about what Keats was doing exactly 200 years ago. Quite sad, for sure.

February '21 is coming, and we all know it. Just feeling very pensive these days, and wonder if anyone is feeling the same.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby CasaMagni » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:25 pm

I think it's surprising we have as many contemporary sources of information on Keats as we do. Think about how few letters, diaries, journals etc we have relating to our great great great grandparents, and think of how they were not much more unknown than Keats at the time. And in Severn's case it is the letters written at the time which I would rely on!
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Return to Life and Letters