Visiting Keats House, Hampstead

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Visiting Keats House, Hampstead

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:40 am

It's been too long since I have been on this forum. I miss it very much. Hope to be on here more often.

My wife and I are still planning on visiting London in June 2019. Will be staying two days at a B & B near Hampstead of course. Will also be staying in a hotel in London for 8 days and northern England for 3 days.

I will be visiting Keats House at least once - probably twice - while my wife does something else in the area. And yes, I will take pictures and post them here.

It's a "Bucket List" thing as you know.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Visiting Keats House, Hampstead

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 am

Not long now, I'm sure it will be worth it I hope.

It's THE pilgrimage for Keats lovers.

Much as I love the Keats/Shelley house in Rome the connotations of it are a bit too grim and sad for it to be a wholly enjoyable experience [though if you ever get the chance, and if the chance ever arose, i would go back in a heartbeat].

The Hampstead house, though not exactly as it would have been in Keats' time, it's as close as you can get to feeling what everyday life might have bene like in his time; you can imagine being there.

Enjoy!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ravenwing » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:18 pm

You Brits are very lucky to have many historic locations where some of the world's truly most talented poets lived.

@BrokenLyre, I found the following webpage that lists some locations in London that Shakespeare most likely was familiar with. If you are also able to visit any of them, then I hope for you to do so, too!

"10 Locations For Discovering William Shakespeare’s London", by Alice Trickey: https://www.guidelondon.org.uk/blog/aro ... es-london/

There is also the townhouse in Camden Town that the 19th century French poets, Arthur Rimbaud and Paul Verlaine rented. This video shows some footage of it: http://www.camden.tv/movies/rambo.mp4

Ravenwing

Postby Saturn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 pm

You could stay months in London and not see everything there is there of literary and historical interest.

I've been visiting it for over ten years and I don't think I've seen 1% of all I'd like to see.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Fri May 03, 2019 8:21 pm

Oh, BrokenLyre! I'm so jealous! My husband and I have talked for years about going to the UK so that he and his borther could do their "Roots" thing. (His family emmigrated from Glasgow just before WWII.) The closest I've been has been "driving" around Hampstead via Google Street view!
Do have a wonderful, enjoyable and safe trip!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Keats around the world