The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby Saturn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:59 pm

I think Ben Wishaw looks more like Mick Jagger circa 1970 than Keats, but hey I'm not a film casting agent :mrgreen:

Oh Professor Keenaghan, thanks for that, glad to have you on board again. :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Mick Jagger . . . :lol: Weeell, Jagger and Keats both had/have wide mouths--that's something. :wink: I can suspend my disbelief for Ben Whishaw as Keats, maybe because I am just plain interested in Whishaw as an actor--Keats role or not--so I am totally biased. He doesn't look like Keats, to be sure, but he conveys a kind of Keatsian aura.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:47 pm

Malia wrote:Hi dks--long time, no see! :) I didn't know you were a professor now--awesome. I work with (and amongst) quite a few professors, and I've seen that sense of concern you talk about regarding trying to keep one's job. Although, in my case, these profs were already on tenure track. "Professing" can really be a cut-throat occupation . . . that is, until you reach tenure ;)

Can you elaborate on this point, dks? What factual aspects do you mean? Something basic--like the fact that Whishaw has a body structure more like Tom Keats than John? Or something more literary-based?

Hope to hear from you again soon and more often, too, if the fates conspire to work with you :)

Hey guys...! Yes, Miss Malia, it's just been life trying to get through the proverbial 'rite of passage' in higher education is all...too many advanced and terminal degrees all competing for the same tenure-track jobs...it's a problem...

On the movie...I should have clarified. What I meant by being anxious about certain factual aspects was that it was actually a bit difficult to watch the trailer for me. I mean, out of all the demeanors of his of which I'd like to steal a real-time glimpse, his "fits and starts" are not them. Ben Whishaw nailed that in the scene about Fanny receiving a valentine card--the pacing and almost frantic, teary look in his eyes--I know he really felt that...Whishaw was good at dead-panning that boiling-pot quality he had--you know, being too big for his own body frustration...and the accent is toned down for what reason, I'm not exactly sure...overall, I think he'll play it well and will probably watch his career blossom further as a result of this role...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 pm

Saturn wrote:I think Ben Wishaw looks more like Mick Jagger circa 1970 than Keats, but hey I'm not a film casting agent :mrgreen:

Oh Professor Keenaghan, thanks for that, glad to have you on board again. :wink:

:lol: Yes, he does seem to ooze the early Mick look...and he really is too lean, as well, by the way...but I'm no casting agent, either!

I'm always happy to be on here--it's a sanctuary...I have more time to post at the moment since I'm only teaching one summer class this session, but next summer session will be busier with three classes, one being an online World Lit. class..."professor Keenaghan" :lol: I don't feel I've earned the right to be called "professor"...funny enough, they have taken to calling me "prof K"...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:21 am

Will you be going for your doctorate, dks? Are you planning on doing much publishing in the future?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:56 am

Malia wrote:Will you be going for your doctorate, dks? Are you planning on doing much publishing in the future?

Aw, I'd love to go for the PhD...when I can afford it! Right now, I'd like to continue teaching with my MLA and garner some more solid college-level experience...I truly LOVE what I do now, but I'm so broke it's comical. :!:

Oh, I gave a guest presentation/lecture at Univ. of St. Thomas on Keats the other day and I'm slated to give another this coming week...I am lucky to be able to do this--all courtesy of a great professor friend of mine who is teaching two summer literature classes there now. It was pure ecstasy to be able to do nothing for a couple of hours but lecture on Keats...it was over "Eve of St. Agnes" and the upcoming presentation will span "Ode on a Grecian Urn"...*SIGH* :oops: :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:20 pm

I can't help but envy your opportunity to teach Keats. (I am also really happy for you to do so! :D )Just fantastic dks.

Since this is a rambling thread, I was wondering if any of you have ever thought about getting together for a small Keats conference or convention in the US. I was thinking how cool it would be to gather people in Louisville, Kentucky (where George Keats lived) for some kind of celebration/conference/seminar once every couple of years. Perhaps a University will sponsor such a thing. Anyway the thought of some conference gathered around Keats in Louisville seems like fun to me - but probably far fetched. Hmmmm...what do you think? ("Ever let the fancy roam, pleasure never is at home...")
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:02 pm

I second that envy, particularly since you are teaching Keats to people who want to learn about him. I can sneak him in on my students in an extra credit assignment but that is about it. :roll:

Hey, a conference sounds great! I'd be up for it. Great idea!
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:02 am

That is a great idea, AE :) I've seen little reunion parties like this for fan fiction aficionados, why not for lovers of Keats? Are you talking about mostly professional people getting together, i.e. professors/teachers, Keats scholars? Or just anyone who is interested in him and his work?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:07 am

It looks as if I will be in Britain this November. :) A few of my friends from work and I are going on a "girls' trip abroad" and, strangely enough in a very organic way, we've set our itinerary through England and Western Scotland to follow several different writers. Of course, there will be the official stop at Keats House in London (fully remodeled and up and running! Yea!) and we will also hit Haworth (Bronte country), and visit Dove Cottage in Cumberland as well as Burns cottage/historical park-museum in Scotland. I'm extremely excited, as this is the first time I've traveled abroad since I was *last* in England--13 years ago!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:18 pm

Good news Malia!! Sounds like fun, I'll bet you can't wait. :)
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:24 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:I second that envy, particularly since you are teaching Keats to people who want to learn about him. I can sneak him in on my students in an extra credit assignment but that is about it. :roll:

Hey, a conference sounds great! I'd be up for it. Great idea!

Yes! I'm more than excited to talk about the man for two hours--hell, you could put me in a burlap sack and make me stand out roadside to talk about him and I'd be happy to do it...!

Brave Archer--your idea about a Keats meet-up sounds great! I'd love to do that...it would be difficult what with everyone in different pockets of the globe...but it's do-able if time, finances and life permits for everyone...I can't tell you how I would love to meet you guys face to face and talk Keats and poetry and music, etc. !
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Amen!

How about a Keatsfest? :mrgreen:

But seriously would be nice to all get together round a table with a few bottles of Claret and muse about Keats and poetry and art; in short, a 21st century "immortal" dinner.

*Sighs* alas geography and finances always preclude such an idea.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm

One thing we *could* do, if everyone has the technology, is an I-Chat video conference via computer (or even IM chat). I can get up to six people to conference on my I-chat program . . . it would not be as cool as an in-person thing, but it is something.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:58 am

I do hope you get to Britain in November Malia. That would be fantastic! :D I spent a brief time in England in 2000 but didn't have the time to see anything about Keats. :( No Hampstead, no Guy's Hospital, no Well Walk, etc...

A friend of mine is heading to Rome in a few months - but alas - she knows nothing of Keats! She might even get to the Spanish Steps - but didn't know why that is important to me. I tried explaining it - you know how it goes.....Even my own parents got to the Spanish Steps 2 years ago on a tour - but they knew something of Keats from me. I was delighted for them but ....

So, in a few weeks I will be traveling to Florida and I am making an extra stop in Louisville, KY to see the place where George Keats is buried (Cave of the Hill Cemetery). It may be the closest I get to his brother's grave in Rome. It's not the Spanish Steps but I'm still psyched to do it. I'll report back.
Last edited by BrokenLyre on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous